Thursday, September 16, 2004

"Favourite team sacks manager"

Oh well, it's just the New York Mets this time and a highly understandable decision. For the first half of the season, the Mets were competing for the top spot in their division with the Braves, Marlins and Phillies but their record over the past two months has been atrocious. Indeed it is not inconceivable that they could end up being overtaken by perennial whipping boys the Expos, whose payroll is a mere fraction of the Mets'. Art Howe has taken the blame, and rightly so, though he has not been helped by an error-strewn season most notably from Japanese 'wonder kid' Kaz Matsui.

The Mets remind me of Charlton during the 1970s and early 1980s - constantly underachieving yet occasionally capable of outstanding performances. The fact that we now genuinely compete at the top level provides hope for my adopted baseball team.

6 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

What made you become a Mets fans and not Yankees?

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

I felt obliged to follow the underdog - everyone here thinks i'm mad but if my Charlton experience has taught me anything, it's that success is much sweeter when it is unexpected.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

I felt obliged to follow the underdog - following Charlton makes you realise that success is much sweeter when it is unexpected, and failure is easier to take when it is expected!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

oops - didn't realise my first comment had been posted!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

It's funny isn't it. If I ever watch a game where I am a neutral I always start to root for the underdog or the away team as the game progresses.

It does seem like supporting the Yankees is like supporting Man U. I had my first visit to watch the Chicago White Sox the other night and I have to wonder why anyone new into the City would decide to follow them instead of the Cubs. The stadium was soul less and 3/4's empty and the surrounding area is nasty. Go Cubs!

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger New York Addick said...

I also have a soft spot for the Cubs and completely agree that the White Sox stadium is dreadful. Unfortunately the Shea Stadium is equally soulless though. At least when you watch the Cubs disappoint again, you can admire the ivy and the rickety old stadium - at Shea, it's a case of guessing which airline will fly straight over the stadium next.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home