Wednesday, May 17, 2006

On Tenterhooks


Six days have now passed since the official deadline set by Varney and co., and I must admit the quality and quantity of rumours emanating from the Valley has been rather disappointing. One might have hoped that the residents of Harvey Gardens would have had their cameras poised to bring us definitive evidence regarding the candidates. Then again perhaps the interviews themselves are taking place in some shady service station on the M25; or maybe Bill Curbishley's hospitality extends beyond the FA.

Indeed other than the ongoing and highly worrying Peter Taylor rumours, there has been very little to grab hold of and the usually efficient Betfair market has been strangely quiet. Having said that, Bolton coach Sammy Lee has mysteriously appeared as 3rd favourite, although the limited amount of money staked hardly suggests his house is for sale and Mrs Lee has borrowed the 'Rough Guide to London' from the library.

Call me old-fashioned when it comes to assessing Peter Taylor's credentials, but in a highly-paid role like football management, I'm inclined to think that if you've already decimated one medium-sized Premiership club, you should be denied a second opportunity. His apologists may argue that the Leicester board was to blame for his mysterious purchases, but to do so would relegate the role of manager to mere puppet status which his salary would hardly have suggested.

I trust that yesterday's confirmation that Glenn Roeder will take on the manager's role on a permanent basis at Newcastle doesn't suggest that boards across the country are taking collective leave of their senses. Given that bad things tend to happen in threes, what price Taylor to Charlton and Venables to 'Boro? Then again, we've also had McLaren to England so maybe we'll be spared at 'Boro's expense.

I read a book a couple of years ago called Fooled by Randomness which changed my life. I suspect Freddy Shepherd hasn't read it. It examines the way that people tend to mistake luck for skill, and to more importantly to make poor decisions as a result. Is it any wonder that those clubs that remain loyal to their manager reap the benefits when the likes of Glenn Roeder are suddenly feted as managerial geniuses when their longer track record suggests anything but (not to mention his lack of qualifications)? So long as the richer competition act in this irrational fashion, Charlton will continue to be able to punch above its weight (provided our own board are not doomed to their own Taylor-induced bout of ill logic).

Most importantly perhaps, putting aside Freddie Shepherd et al's cognitive biases for a second, Roeder, and for that matter Peter Taylor, just sound a bit thick. It's possible I'm afflicted by my own bias here, but it's never been one that's let me down in the past.







4 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing at the reaction of people who wanted Curbishley gone. This really is a case of be careful what you wish for. I think a viewing of Capra's Its A Wonderful Life should be made compulsory for all CAFC Fans.
Taylor, if he gets it will be a risk, but I am consoling myself that it is now unlikely that Hoddle or McCarthy will feature. At least I hope not. Next season will be intriguing but I doubt it will feature a push for Europe - more a push for mid table.

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curbs walked. As a fan, all I want is to watch good football, I don't care if we're playing in the Conference. Taylor is a highly rated coach, he wouldn't be my choice but he couldn't possibly get us playing worse football than Curbs has served up this season.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Hilltothevalley said...

The counter side of the argument is that taylor has always had strong dredentials as a coach, bourne out bu his U21 exploits and his time with a Tigers team, the handling of transfers seems to have been taken out of his hands, albeit being given to a mate of his, and maybe his experience at Leicester is positive in that once bitten twice shy, hopefully he would have learnt by his mistakes. I cannot say the idea of Taylor fills me with joy, but I doubt anyone after Curbs would do, depsite last season, we cannot get the established Prem managers and I suspect in reality we would not want to. As for Curbs walking, well reading between the lines and the chat I had with him (oooh name dropping), I think that Murray very astutely has pushed him out the door, albeit a year before he would have jumped. Ps Why all these anonymouses, have the conviction to add yr names guys.!

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe this or not - I have it on very good authority that the club have approached Martin Jol to take the coaches job.

He has supposedly fallen out with the directors at spurs over transfer policy and his family are settled in Chigwell.

Hopefully he would bring Murphy and Defoe back to the valley.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home