Friday, October 19, 2007

Wolves Preview

A briefer preview than usual because I'm going to Molineux tomorrow, and thus can write a proper review.

I hate these breaks for Internationals matches, during which time my Charlton life is put on hold. The 24/7 coverage of England games bores me senseless, and then when the team disappoints, people act as if they're surprised. Even if you believe that the Premiership is the 'best League in the world', it's not because of the English players thereof.

The truth is that but for just a handful of genuinely world-class players, the England team is decidedly mediocre. The orgasmic response to Emile Heskey's reintroduction prove as much; yes he did ok, but he merely emphasises the lack of quality replacements available to the England boss.

Anyhow, I don't care about England. I do care about Charlton dearly though, and will be returning to Molineux for the first time since our crazy 4-0 win there in 2003 (all the goals coming during the first-half). If anyone can remember any other recent times when we've scored four goals in a single half of football, please let me know below (I can't think of any).

Wolves have begun the season solidly, but despite all of the usual 'big club' claptrap, their team is the same ragbag of journeymen that most Championship sides possess. As is seemingly becoming a pre-requisite, they also have their own Charlton reject in the shape of Jay Bothroyd, who didn't show a propensity for very much except rocket free-kicks for us.

Our last League game ended in disappointment, but it stretched our unbeaten run to 8 games during which we have accumulated a very healthy 18 points. Watford have however stretched their lead to four points, and with a straightforward home fixture against Hull tomorrow, it is important we remain in touch.

Pards has no important fresh new injury concerns, so it's very much a case of 'as you were' with Jonathan Fortune presumably fit to return to central defence, and his main selection headaches viewed in terms of 'Thomas vs Ambrose' and 'Varney vs Todorov'. I suspect in each case he will opt for the former. The only other surprise might involve the resting of Andy Reid, permitting Pards to select both Thomas and Ambrose. I expect us to line up as follows:

Weaver, Mills, Powell, Bougherra, Fortune, Reid, Thomas, Zheng, Semedo, Varney, Iwelumo. Subs: Randolph, Sodje, Ambrose, Todorov, Racon.

NY Addick predicts: Wolves 1 (Bothroyd), Charlton 2 (Varney 2) Attn: 20,981.

6 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 goals in one half?

i was at the Bristol Rrovers game in 76 (I think) when we drew 5 all - but even then I think the goals were split 3 in one half, two in the other.

I know I can probably just google the answer, but its so much more fun trying to remember than sort out what feck Finance are talking about with their FY targets that have no sound basis....

Pembury Addick

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only one I remember is 4-3 v. Southend in 94. Pardew scored 2, a solo run (!) and a last-minute winner.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

I don't think we scored four goals in one half vs Southend. From memory, we were 3-0 up at half-time.

On a different note, didn't we once score four goals in the second half at Newcastle to win 4-3?

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Burgundy Addick said...

This is cheating and going back a bit, but I did see us beat Apol Nicosia 9-0 in a friendly at The Valley. Don't remember the timings, but we must have scored at least five goals in one half!

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Varney to score 2 ??? You haven't been to many games this season have you? I can't fault his attitude but I'm already thinking of him as an energetic pest and no more.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger charlton north-downs said...

Varney will com good and I don't think he is entirely Match fit having missed most of Pre-Season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home