Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pardew's Press Conference

At the time of writing, Pards hasn't yet faced the media but when he does, I suspect his remarks may sound something like this:

"Well, what a game that was! It could have gone either way to be honest. At the end of the day, we're in the entertainment business and 13 goals conceded in 4 games shows we're not afraid to give the opposition's fans their money's worth.

It's a tough defeat to take to be honest - we'd worked so hard in training all week on not conceding more than three goals. We had some cones out and everything, and even trained in the rain on Thursday. I don't think anyone could accuse me of not trying as hard as possible to get things right.

We had to score six to win which was always going to be tough, even with Luke Varney on the bench. Luke is going to be a really important player for us this season. I don't think he realises how good he is; indeed I don't think anyone does.

I thought we really missed Martin Cranie, Grant Basey, Chris Dickson, Jonathan Fortune, Zheng Zhi, Jonjo Shelvey and Josh Wright today to be honest, with all due respect to the lads that played. I said to Parkie at 5-1 that the match situation was 'made for Dicko', but unfortunately he was at Bluewater and his mobile was switched off.

Amazingly today was the first time this season I've been able to name an unchanged side. Well that's not strictly true; I've been able to name one lots of times, but I've chosen to tinker just for the hell of it. I couldn't find a pen when the Ref asked for my teamsheet so I just handed him the one from Birmingham; not ideal as Toddy probably would have started.

We've had so many problems all season with injuries and suspensions. I had to put Therry Racon on the bench today, even though he still had one of his legs in plaster. Andy Gray meanwhile didn't arrive at the ground until 2.55pm, and had to play the first half in a pair of loafers. I thought he did ok though to be honest as it wasn't the easiest playing surface.

The fans were really terrific today, although I wanted to correct the North Stand when they sang, "There's only one Billy Davies." There was of course a Billie Davis who had a No.1 hit with 'Tell Him' in 1963. Different spelling of course, but pronounced exactly the same.

The referee didn't do us any favours, although I'm not looking for excuses. I said to him just before kick-off, "Are you going to do us any favours today Ref?" and he said, "No, how dare you?" This is what us managers are up against, and it makes it so hard to respect them to be honest.

People who know Alan Pardew know Alan Pardew doesn't walk away from a challenge. A lot of people claimed Alan Pardew walked away from Reading, but if the truth be known, I drove the car to the station, took the train to Paddington and then the tube to Upton Park. (Meanwhile West Ham sacked me as you know).

I think there's every chance we'll bring in one or two loan players this week, although finances are very tight. The Chairman asked me if I'd take a 50% pay cut to help bring in seven new players, but I said if I did that the squad would lose all respect for me.

You call up a player's manager and they say, "Charlton? You're having a laugh mate. My player's not interested in League One," and then they start laughing hysterically down the phone. I wouldn't mind, but I was only asking Jim Magilton how Darren Ambrose was getting on up there.

We can go to QPR in great spirit however; I do love a real midweek ding-dong derby under the lights. If any Charlton fan hasn't bought a ticket yet (and I understand there are still over 2,000 remaining) they should rest assured we'll approach it in the exact same way that we did for the Palace game. And if that's not enough, the new Westfield Centre is terrific apparently and just a short walk from the ground.

I'm not one to set unrealistic targets, but I've told the lads that if we win our last 28 games, we can still get to 100 points. That ought to be enough to seal the title which remains our aim."

5 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger Ken Jennings said...

Won't be reading his nonsense any more. He's gone.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your frustration NYA, I really do. It was a poor game this afternoon and Charlton's lack of quality was so palpable it was almost embarrassing at times. However, I feel that you are being a little unfair on Pardew. I agree entirely that he his now past his sell-by-date (and there are rumours that he has now left the Club), but I do believe that he has been trying hard in recent weeks. Ultimately, Pards is responsible for what happens on the pitch because he has brought the players to the Club, he coaches them, picks the team and decides tactics, but he must think that fate is conspiring against him. The first Sheffield Utd goal was a mess for which I think Bouazza was responsible, Weaver gave away the third and when Youga scored Utd's fourth I figured he must have had money on Pards being fired so awful was it. Just my view, but whilst I agree that Pards needs to go, I do have some sympathy and respect for him.

The Board now face a big test. If Pardew has gone, they need a serious alternative. In my view Parkinson is tainted and shouldn't get the job. I'd be very disappointed if Sam Allardyce isn't at least being considered. He is clearly desperate for a job (see today's Times for example) and for my money the Club would need a good reason for not finding a way to hire him.

All the best

Chris

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's gone - its official.

Sort of glad. Remember how excited I was when he was appointed. Won't get fooled again though.

Pembury Addick

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I'm being too unfair to be honest, Chris. In light of his arrogance, allied of course with the vast sums he is paid, one is entitled to have high expectations (which clearly were not fulfilled).

It was really only in the past 2-3 weeks that he talked about a new focus in training, and seemed to finally stumble across a relatively stable team formation (I think today was the first time we've been unchanged this season). Until then all he'd done in the past year is blame refs, injuries, bad luck etc.. - ie. everything except his own managerial techniques.

However the fact that we conceded 10 goals in 3 games even after the Barnsley debacle proves he simply doesn't have what it takes, at least not at Charlton.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Kentish Man said...

No hiding-place for Pards today and so it has proved. He's gone. 4 out of 5 goals today were a joke:no self-respecting group of professionals could have held their heads up even if only one of them had gone in. 4 shows how bad things are.
I think this is no time to gloat. We have not replaced Curbs and today we are no further forward. We are in the same hole that Man Utd found themselves when Busby stood down. It took them forever to find Fergie. How long before our own white knight turns up?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home