Saturday, March 06, 2010

Keith Alexander's letter

After searching through some boxes that had been stored whilst I was living in New York, I managed to track down a copy of the letter that the late Keith Alexander enclosed with his photos.

I had forgotten that he had given me two free tickets to Barnet's final home game, and offered to show me around the club.

My memory tells me that I didn't take him up on his kind offer, probably because it clashed with a vital Addicks game taking place the same day (this coincided with the First Division period under Lennie Lawrence).

I also find it touching that he had no qualms about putting his home address and telephone number on the letter.

Domestic football today has changed immeasurably since those days, but judging by the warm tributes paid to Alexander since his death, his decency never did.

4 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like this geezer was a bit of a legend.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

Fantastic NY. As I said elsewhere, it is a sad indigment on today's game, that Keith only made the Sky Sports headlines because he died suddenly.

Hopefully posthumously Sky or someone will produce a programme on Keith's life.

I'm off to tell the missus that it pays never to throw anything out :-)

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Kentish Man said...

Two terrific posts and a reminder of those days when footballers had far more in common with the people that cheered them on at home games. Thanks for sharing the memories - and congratulations for being so well organised you could find a letter as old as that one: there are days when I cannot find the morning post.

 
At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Nicola C said...

Lovely blog you have heere

 

Post a Comment

<< Home