Monday, May 24, 2010

Cramping My Style

What have Shaun Bartlett, Mark Hudson and New York Addick got in common?

Yes that's right, they've all scored on their Valley debut.

As mentioned on my previous post, I fulfilled a lifetime's ambition by playing football on the hallowed (albeit bone hard) turf this morning.

Unfortunately despite yours truly claiming an assist for the first goal, and scoring the second, our team ran out 4-3 losers thanks to a rather dubious late offside decision.

By the time it was scored however, I'd been forced to exit the play with severe cramp in my calves, a near inevitability for me given my apparent susceptibility to it.

Luckily former Addicks midfielder Peter Garland was on hand to pass on the type of professional advice you expect from an ex-player: "...you should have had more salt on your fry-up."

It was interesting to note just how small the visiting dressing room was. It's clear that the psychological battle begins from the moment the opposition arrive (apparently the home dressing room was multiples larger).

I can't imagine how crowded it becomes on matchday with 18 players, and a myriad of coaches and trainers milling around.

Whereas our team (decked out in the club away strip) were strangers and generally Charlton fans, the home side were neither but were instead celebrating a 30th birthday.

Moreover, many of them had clearly played at a pretty high level, which was not what I needed in addition to the heat.

As they played neat triangles around us for the majority of the match, it afforded me plenty of time to take in the majestic surroundings.

Luckily we had a goalkeeper (and Leicester fan) who not only looked just like Joe Hart, but played quite a lot like him too.

He almost single-handedly kept the scoreline respectable, and allowed us to take the lead on three different occasions before finally running out of luck.

My goal for what it was worth came at the Covered End which was pretty special, a scrappy near-post poachers goal which will live long in my memory of course.

Either way, for those that have the time, money, energy and inclination, I would highly recommend keeping an eye out for next season's Football Aid game (whilst praying for cooler weather).

Like me you will never forget the first time you run onto the pitch, and can begin to imagine the memorable moments that you have witnessed on it.

It will certainly make me less critical of some real players too, particularly when they have to play in conditions like those. The pitch feels enormous.

The organisation was excellent, and everything from the DVD of the game to the hundreds of photos that were instantly available, made the players feel very special. Keith Peacock even popped by to say 'hi' too which was nice.

Most importantly, it raised over six grand for charity which is the main thing.

3 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

A memory to treasure NYA. I hope you gave it the Killer fist to the Covered End after you scored as it certainly didn't sound like you could afford a Mooney cup to the ear 50-yard sprint down the touchline :-)

Once I get myself repaired (knee and now thumb) I would certainly love to play next year.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well done NYA . I am pleased you never got sent From the field with your celebrating of Your goal, did you get approached to play next season for the Reds 1st team as we do have a habit of Unearthing Talent. As well as taking a chance

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

I barely had the energy to raise a hand to celebrate the goal.

I think I will also be hanging up my boots for good, having gone out at the top as it were. The older I get the less I enjoy doing things with no realistic scope for improvement!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home