Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Turbulence

I really thought it was going to be our day on Monday in more ways than one, not least when I was told at around 2.30pm that I was being upgraded to 'Upper Class' on my flight home. Alas, regular SMS goal updates from my Dad dashed my optimism and just as the cabin doors were closing, confirmation of yet another disappointing defeat came through.

I think if you'd asked me a couple of years ago whether I'd rather have an upgrade than a Charlton win, I'd have opted for the latter but no longer. It's selfish of course, but sums up the way I feel about the club right now.

We really are taking one step forwards and about three steps back at the moment. It sounds like our defensive frailties let us down again and one has to hope that the solution can be viewed through the transfer window.

Although I still think relegation is a remote possibility, I couldn't help feeling relieved on learning that Pompey had lost thus ensuring the gap between us and 18th remains eight points, a considerable gap when the teams down there are averaging less than a point per game. Having said that, the worst-case scenario would be a compression of the teams currently placed say from 10th (West Ham) downwards since that would cause an almighty dogfight with six-pointers cropping up every other week. Indeed our next two home games against Birmingham and WBA are already potential 'six-pointers' and they will know that their own survival chances rest squarely on winning games like these. Assuming we take nothing from the Chelsea game, then four points or more from those two home games would probably be enough to put relegation fears aside for the timebeing.

In the above context, those 'layers' on Betfair who offered some punters 80-1 on us getting relegated (presumably four games into the season) will be having several sleepless nights over the coming weeks.

Given our dire recent form, not least away from home, it's fair to say the last thing Curbs needed was a tricky FA Cup tie at a Championship side. I'm trying not to even contemplate losing but his position will be increasingly untenable should our worst fears be confirmed. On the other hand, a strong Cup run may just appease us doubters and what better year to do it with the new Wembley set to host its first final? (Put it this way, I'm not booking my plane tickets yet.)

2 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NYA - Do you know New York City Spur? His blog is excellent but has gone strangely quiet in recent weeks?

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although you are not the only Charlton fan talking about relegation, a look at our remaining home games should ease your mind. We are yet to play 5 out of 7 of the teams below us, games that should yeild 9+ points, leaving one win to find elsewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home