Friday, August 25, 2006

Left Behind the Pack?

Just 18 hours after the Addicks vital home game against Bolton on Saturday, I too will be running the risk of being 'left behind the pack' when I compete in the inaugural New York City Half Marathon. To put the task of running 13.1 miles into perspective, it's about as far as Matt Holland runs in between touches of the football.

At the ungodly hour of 6.30am I will join 9,999 other running fanatics (including Olympic marathon silver medalist Meb Keflezighi) for a loop of beautiful Central Park (see inset) before heading down 7th Avenue to Times Square, then west along 42nd Street before the painful five mile jaunt to Battery Park at the end of Manhattan island.

There are few better cities in the world to run in than New York, but rarely do enthusiasts get the opportunity to take over the streets themselves, usually the preserve of lunatic taxi drivers and crazed Chinese delivery men. Admittedly until Rudy Giuliani cleaned up the city, tourists were regularly seen running through Times Square pursued by an assortment of pimps, drug dealers and muggers, but that was a long time before I properly got to know this great metropolis. And although I wouldn't suggest rushing to Ladbrokes to have a wager on me winning the race, I can't think of many sporting occasions other than these giant running events where in theory (and strictly in practice too), the world's best are competing with Joe Public at the same time and under the exact same rules.

I was tempted to wear my new Charlton shirt in the unlikely event that some fellow Addicks are in town and suitably jetlagged to be out and about at the crack of dawn, but my experience of wearing replica shirts on hot days suggests I could well spontaneously combust around about the 7 mile marker. The race is being shown on ABC television too, which might afford me the opportunity to earn some much sought after publicity for the club, but then again unless the commentator is heard saying, "...and now we leave the leaders to take a look at the exciting race developing for 4,568th place.." then this may just be a pipe dream.

Although I had enjoyed running on and off for much of my life, it only really became a true passion bordering on addiction in recent years, to the extent that I genuinely can't imagine life without it. I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody since these days there aren't many activities that men can undertake that are accessible, good for you, that relieve stress, and that most importantly don't make you go blind.

It would be nice to think I will be running with an extra spring in my step having seen the Addicks notch up their first win of the season (the match will be shown in full here albeit with a 7-hour delay). Unfortunately our opponents are Bolton, a team against which we have a poor record especially at home. There is nothing subtle about their approach; Kevin Davies acts as a permanent moving target for all manner of crosses, long balls, throw-ins and corners. Around him more cultured players like Kevin Nolan, Ricardo Vaz Te and El Hadji Diouf are ready to pounce on any knock-downs and half-chances.

With Traore likely to return to the line-up to complete a back four of strapping six-footers, we needn't fear an aerial onslaught and if we can only get the ball down for once and actually play some football, we will have a chance of exploiting their own weak spots. Although I accept Dowie's options in midfield are limited with all or some of Reid, Thomas and Bolanos unavailable, if he continues to persist with Holland and Hughes we run the severe risk of being unable to keep the ball and thus forcing the back four to defend slightly north of the Woolwich Road. If Reid is fit, then playing him in place of Hughes is a 'no brainer' whilst surely Kishishev deserves to start in place of Holland following two poor performances.

I wasn't too far wrong with my 2-0 prediction versus Man Utd, and unfortunately I haven't seen enough tactical nous yet from Dowie in either team selection or during matches themselves to suggest we will get anything from this game either. Bolton will be seething after failing to keep a 100% record at Fulham, and I suggest this frustration will be enough to secure a victory; Charlton 1 (Ambrose), Bolton 2 (Nolan, Davies).

2 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NYA,

I thought we were supposed to be meeting up on Tuesday - are you going to be finished by then?

Maybe we should push it back to Wednesday - just to be on the safe side.... ;-)

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger SE7 ADDICK said...

If you read the label on your new shirt it says ' Avoid the sun' or something similar so not wearing it is probably wise. Good luck though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home