Saturday, December 02, 2006

One Foot in the Grave

Outplayed for 90 minutes, we conceded a deserved late winner and now very much have one foot in the grave. It's appropriate we were wearing black today.

Under Dowie I felt that we resembled a drunk walking home; for every step forwards, there was one sideways or backwards, but very slowly and eventually we'd reach our destination. Now we are a directionless shambles led by a man who might be advised that simply being a 'good bloke' (and good coach) does not make him suitably qualified to get us out of this partly self-created mess.

Richard Murray effectively confirmed that the dismissal of Dowie was a football decision, and not driven by factors outside of both football and our knowledge. However might he not finally contemplate the possibility that it's this 'structure' that they are pinning our hopes on that might be the problem?

"...unfortunately Iain's approach, while energetic and enthusiastic, failed to convince the board that he could make the structure work. "

Call me old-fashioned, but I couldn't give a toss about whether the structure works; I just want Charlton to accumulate enough points to stay in the Premiership this season, and under Dowie we had a chance in my view of that happening, and now we have almost none. Given that Peter Varney confirmed that the Wigan result was irrelevant to Dowie's future since the decision was made, let's just review his results just prior:

Watford (H) - drew 0-0
Bolton (H) - won 1-0
Newcastle (A) - drew 0-0
Man City (H) - won 1-0
Chesterfield (A) - drew 3-3

Five games unbeaten....four clean sheets.....we were making progress for goodness sake, now we're an embarrassment, utterly outplayed away to two sides who played Championship football last season, and barely added to their squads in the summer. And all in my view completely unnecessary and self-inflicted.

Where do we go from here? There's no money in the window unless we sell Darren Bent, and his value is falling right now, not rising. Instead of adding more mediocre players to a below-average squad, the club might be advised to recruit a proper manager on a six-month contract with a whopping bonus at the end if he keeps us up. It could be the best money the club has ever spent, because I suspect I don't just speak for myself when I say that much more of this will be too much to bear.

3 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree to a degree but having been at the Wigan game we were appalling. Possibly the worst peformance I've seen in my 15 years as a Charlton fan,. I dont think that sacking Dowie was a mistake but neither do I think it will turn our season round. Where was the drive from the players that we saw after Reids goal against Everton last week? Personally I think our season is over now and it hurts me to say it but watching us at the moment is like watching a relative slowly passing away. Having said that I'll support the lads all the way til May!

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

enoughs enough and i've had enough!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one knows what went on inside the corridors of our Church at Charlton with Dowie, however something has to be done and done now, Les 'god bless him' Reed is NOT a manager and now is not the time to take up a YTS whilst we're up 5hit street.

I want a statement of where we go from here from Mr Murray I think we're all owed an explanation.

Something is wrong, very wrong.

Maybe Mr Murray should go in to the dressing room and give a good old Fergie style hair dryer treatment and tell these prima donnas that if we're relegated who do THEY think will WANT to buy them ?? Jumped up tarts.

I know its not the way Mr Murray operates but something out of the blue has got to happen so why not eh ?

We don't need to cuddle these players what we need is the old fighting spirit of old , at least Dowie gave these prima donnas a kick up the backside!

God I'm fuming, under Dowie we were just about getting things together ( not that I was dancing in the streets when I heard of his appointment).

Apart from the players ill performance today, Les Reed got it completely wrong today.

His performance at timing of subs what an absolute joke.

What a farce.

He waits for over 10 mins when all the signals are teling us fans that he should change things pronto to try and protect our lead whilst 1-0 up, but no he waits and waits for what bloody Christmas ??

No Les waits till they score to change the formation to 442 when wee've gone down !!!arrrgghhhhh ???

Then he brings on Lloyd Sam for 2 minutes for fuck sake man wake up arrrghhhh!"!!!!!!!!!

Now if Mr Murray wants those fans to stay when we go down then I advise him to explain what did happen behind closed doors, its the least he owes cos this is now turning into a complete farce, we are the laughing stock of the premiership and it aint funny.

ps I am with us all the way regardless if we go down, I just know some fickle fans won't.

UP THE ADDICKS !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home