Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Silence is Deafening

Despite Frankie Valley's suggestion, it's not much fun for us International Addicks right now. With no-one to discuss Charlton's crisis with, I'm resigned to writing more emotion-laden prose from foreign climes (1°c and sunny) and hoping I'm not completely out-of-tune with those a bit closer to the action.

Last night I was so wound-up by our performance that I knew I wouldn't sleep if I didn't shake off some adrenaline. So despite having imbibed a bottle of white wine, I put on my running shoes and at some ungodly hour ran for four miles whilst the wife desperately leafed through the Yellow Pages under 'A' for 'Asylums'.

It didn't work especially well though and I barely slept, occasionally grabbing a few minutes of dream-charged sleep (usually involving Peter Varney for some godforsaken reason). At least I was kept company by the reams of comments hitting my Blackberry via my blog that reassured me that the way I was feeling about Charlton wasn't an over-reaction.

I'll reiterate that the problem with Charlton is that I have no choice but to continue supporting them. If my car packed up, I'd trade it in for a new one. If my job sucked, I'd apply for another one. And if my wife made me feel this angry and upset I'd kick her out the door quicker than you can say, "trailer park trash."

And yet still, here we are at 1.30pm UK time and the silence emanating from the club is deafening. Perhaps Les Reed still has the players locked in the dressing room whilst the likes of Jerome Thomas desperately text their mates asking if they'll still be at Sugar Reef when he finally gets out?

What is taking them so long? There shouldn't need to even be a Board-level discussion about what needs to be done. And as I said last night, if Reed himself had a modicum of dignity he would have resigned already, preferably in front of the media that he so shamefully evaded last night. I'm disturbed by the incredulous amount of self-belief that Reed has (based it seems solely upon technical know-how) whilst his unmotivated team defile the Charlton shirt. Didn't he hold a promising interactive discussion after the Spurs game? Look how far that took us.

If the Board avoid the obvious conclusion from recent events, solely because they don't want to face even more upheaval, then they will be failing in their role as the club's fiduciaries. Better to acknowledge the farcical decision to promote Reed now than allow him to waste more of the club's precious money in January in the faint hope that he can rebuild us with 'his team.'

As has been noted elsewhere, the players (one or two excepted) deserve nothing but repugnance for the crisis we now find ourselves in. However to somehow describe Les Reed as helpless in the face of such utter dispassion and apathy from his squad would be absurdly generous to an already well-paid man. Ask yourself, if the club had parachuted Neil Warnock or Adrian Boothroyd or Chris Coleman into the role in November, would they have got more out of the same group of players? Perhaps not in quality, but they wouldn't have dared return to the dressing room with one of those 'real managers' in charge after the lack of effort shown last night.

In the unlikely event that a club representative has the courtesy to address the media (and the fans) about last night's events, I hope they will demonstrate a rare act of good sense by confirming Reed is no longer 'head coach.'

7 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with most, if not all, of your thoughts, but if Reed goes just who do you think would take the job now? Pardew would be insane to take us on now! We will end up with Mark Robson for six weeks, then Kinsella will have to step up. I believe he is a manager of the future, but he clearly isn't ready now. Sorry we now have to reap what we've sown.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

We need someone young, hungry, with experience in the Championship and who would see us an upward career move.

I agree it's a bit late for Pardew now (amazing what a week can do isn't it?). Some candidates might include: Paul Simpson, Mike Newell, Dave Jones.

I wonder what would have happened if we'd got Billy Davies. It pains me to think about it.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

If we at least knew what Mills looked like, we could throw eggs at him.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not sure why you're aiming all the flak at varney, is he solely responcible, does murrey play no role in the goings on? have you thought of sending your letter to the club? i'm so angry right now that i'm thinking of writing to murray for an explanation. i have no answers but 15 years of hard graft by all and sundry are going down the swannie in a matter of months if not weeks. reed, robson and kinsella all novices in a managerial sense may be the future but they sure ain't the present and it's the present that needs addressing and urgently

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met Mills at the West Ham match in August, I was instantly suspicious, he was thin-faced, rat-like, with a spiv moustache and appalling taste in suits; need I say more, a wide boy on the make?

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

I will always be more inclined to criticise Varney rather than Murray, because the latter has spent tons of his own money to stabilise the club. He has 'skin in the game' as they say.

I'm suspicious of Varney's motives with this 'structure' - does he have Kenyon-esque ambitions at another club and was this meant to be his legacy? Was Dowie a threat because he couldn't/wouldn't work within it?

People are blaming the players but they don't end up as CAFC employees by accident. Someone is responsible for scouting them/signing them/negotiating with them etc.. That in my view is more likely to be the day-to-day chief executive than the Chairman. Ultimately everyone is answerable to Varney and the buck should stop with him.

I won't bother writing to the club. I wrote to Murray a couple of years ago pleading with him not to expand the Valley - he didn't have the courtesy to reply, yet lo and behold expansion plans are now on hold (and thank goodness for that given our current state).

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never promote a number 2 to the top job. This could be good advice to New Labour and Charlton with their New Labour core within the club seem to demonstrating Blair's arrogance. Ignore the fans we know best. It is everyone's fault but not Les Reed and not the board ! I will gladly sign a Les Reed out petition at the Fulham match and if he is still in place by the the last match of the year a petition to get Murray, Varney and co out. We need a leader to take charge to lead us out of this mess. The talk that the January transfer window is laughable, We could have lost three more matches by then. Pardew needs to be put in. We are already relegated and destined to become Championship fodder under Reed, Murray and Varney. We need fan power to come together to rescue the club we love. I appeal to all fans to stand up, ignore the propaganda on the club web-site and call for the appointment of a propermanagement structure. I also include the mysterious Mr Mills in this, he has spent money on mercenaries with no heart and passion and in the course of 4 months we have become a laughing stock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home