Saturday, February 24, 2007

New York Addick II

I knew for sometime that Feb 24th would be a day of tension and excitement. I knew for example that I would be sitting somewhere quiet in a state of considerable nervousness, trying to be supportive but realising that I was ultimately helpless.


Perhaps what I hadn't fully bargained upon was that the feelings described above would begin some nine hours earlier than envisaged, following the birth of my son this morning, six days ahead of schedule. Always eager to please, he popped out well in advance of kick-off allowing plenty of time for a quick family bonding session, before I raced home to grab a couple of hours sleep ahead of the big game.


The poor lad doesn't realise it yet, but even if it wasn't for the irrational fanaticism of his Dad, he is surely destined to be a Charlton fan. Conceived on the day that Iain Dowie was appointed as manager (and with hindsight, I almost lasted as long), and born on the morning of the club's biggest game for years, is it really any surprise that we are delaying naming him in case an unexpected hero emerges this afternoon? Knowing our luck though, it'll be Souleymayne Diawara.


By way of a footnote, when the wife was admitted they asked me if she had ever had any previous operations. "Only a minor foot op," I replied, "Do you know the date roughly?" she enquired, hoping I could just recall the year. "5th April 1999," I blurted, "Wow you have a great memory," she said in awe, blissfully unaware that instead of being at her bedside I was at Upton Park (ironically) watching Graham Stuart head a late winner. The wife never let me forget it.

6 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new arrival. 2-0 right now (first half). Perhaps "Darren" will be a good choice considering the day's events. Let's hope it continues and you guys stay up this year.

Nick, a Newcastle fan from America

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many congrats and what an afternoon
Remember the birth of my son the best feeling ever .Read your Blog everyday at work very entertaining
and topical.

regards from a Charlton fan who's Dad took him to Charlton v Preston 1966 Matt Tees scored both goals hooked ever since.

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, I took my one year old to the club shop last week...poor little fella doesn't stand a chance! Just like me when my dad took me all those years ago.

Enjoy reading your posts as well as Chicago Addick, lived in both New York and Chicago (in fact the Mrs is from Chicago). I miss the States at times but when I'm at the Valley couldn't dream of being anywhere else...especially today.

Good luck and hope all the family are well, by the way how on earth do you find the time to post?

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words. Luckily I can touch type and I've an understanding wife!

 
At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new addition! I also was at that very same match at Upton Park when Stuart scored his first Charlton goal. We were not in the Charlton end so had to severely bite the tongue when the ball crossed the line! It was my first live Charlton match since 1984. By the by there are a few sleepless nights ahead! All the best.

 
At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many congratulations.

My partner just had our first on the 6th February and it's been a wonderful time since then...

Was terrified prior to the West Ham game, but up at 2am to watch....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home