Thursday, December 09, 2010

Earning Our Spurs?

Given that I live 15 miles from Luton and there's been a hard frost every night this week, I'd considered a postponement of tonight's game to be likely.

However I've seen no mention of a pitch inspection, and with somewhat milder temperatures forecast for later today, I guess it's going ahead then.

Unfortunately I'll only be watching via an ESPN subscription (to be set up minutes before kick-off, then terminated shortly thereafter), due to a long agreed babysitting commitment I made to the wife.

It would have been nice to have drawn a big club in the 3rd Round to add extra resonance, but at least Spurs is local thus ensuring a big away following for whichever club triumphs tonight.

By all accounts, the Hatters outplayed us eleven days ago. Add the likelihood of a hard bumby pitch, expectant home crowd and tight stadium, and you have all the ingredients for a Cup upset.

There's a tendency to view Luton as stronger opposition solely by virtue of recent memories of them as League contemporaries.

If we were facing Fleetwood Town or Gateshead tonight, I'd suspect most Addicks fans would already be planning their pub crawl up the Tottenham High Road. They'd probably be wrong about that too.

The carrot of a meaningful six-figure purse from the 3rd Round however ensures Parky will play his strongest side, although I probably won't be alone in not losing sleep if we lose tonight, especially if we go on to win on Sunday.

Andy Drury's stunning late equaliser ensured a tidy £80 charity bet win, and I'm tempted to think the momentum that goal garnered will be carried forward tonight.

NY Addick bets Andy Drury to score first (at 13/1)
NY Addick bets Luton to win 3-1 (at 27/1)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home