Saturday, March 26, 2011

Paul Weaver RIP

As others have already reported, I learned today that fellow Addick blogger Paul Weaver (also known as Charlton North Downs) tragically passed away last month.

He suffered a heart attack whilst playing tennis, which is particularly upsetting as we had chatted and emailed each other a number of times about our shared love of the sport.

Indeed in one of those emails he told me, "Tennis is fantastic and I absolutely love it."

He was far too young to have died, but without wishing to sound insensitive it happened whilst he was doing something he loved.

I was fortunate enough to sit next to him at a pre-match 'bloggers lunch' at Legends a couple of seasons ago, and I recall a thoroughly likeable genuine guy.

He was understandably less obsessive about writing his blog than some of us are, but his last post written pre-season is particularly poignant in light of this sad news.

I'm especially touched reading it again now, that his penultimate paragraph wished me luck in the Chicago Marathon, a race I'd entered in memory of a colleague who also died whilst participating in a sport she loved.

RIP Paul, and condolences to his wife and children.

6 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger StoneMuse said...

Terrible news RIP

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Marco. said...

I think we all need to raise a glass of Guinness in his memory.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Ketts said...

Very well put NYA, Paul was a lovely, genuine guy.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Confidential Rick said...

Sad news. I remember one of the earliest (first?) bloggers lunches in Legends when we both had just started our respective blogs and had a great lunch swopping stories and ideas for posts. A nice guy whose posts were often entertaining and always a good read..RIP Paul

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Burgundy Addick said...

Very sad news indeed. What always seemed to come across was his enthusiasm and sheer good nature. Let's all have a glass before the match on Saturday in his memory.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Puts my current angst with trivialities into perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home