Monday, April 03, 2006

Successful Operation

Given that we have perhaps the worst away support in the Premiership, I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that we look like selling out our 4,800 allocation for the 'Boro cup replay.

Readers of this blog will know I'm not exactly shy when it comes to criticising the club, but it is precisely at times like this that one remembers why Charlton is so special. I think the aspect that really hammered it home for me was this: "...and at 3am, upon arrival in King's Cross, supporters will be directed to 20 free coaches to return to The Valley at 3.30am."

The club is not laying on completely free travel in the strictest sense because the gate receipts on the night will be shared, and thus every ticket sold represents a rebate back to the club. Nonetheless it takes a certain type of club to care enough to go to this amount of trouble and I salute them from this side of the pond.

Unfortunately some of the club's community spiritedness can be a little cringeworthy, and whoever decided in their infinite wisdom to print, "PROUD TO SAY I WAS THERE" on the special t-shirts might be made accountable if we get beat 3-0. As a fan desperate to see us in an FA Cup semi-final, I sincerely hope there won't be 4,800 t-shirts going the same way as my '13 - DANNY MURPHY' one.

Whichever mode of transport is chosen, it's guaranteed to be an exceptionally long day, and let's face it, Teeside is not the type of place that makes you consider staying the night and exploring the local chemicals works.

I guess the strangest aspect for me at least, is the enormous disparity between the number of fans we will take to 'Boro, and our usual away following. When West Ham took several thousand to Man City on a Monday night, it wasn't that surprising because they are pretty well supported anyhow.

In my view the club ought to use this unique opportunity to canvas the travelling fans on what encouraged them to make this trip and why they shun the majority of League games. All of the usual factors that are put forward (TV coverage, cost, distance, midweek night) are all relevant here also to some degree. I appreciate that it is an important game and the organised travel removes some hassle, but is it enough to explain why we would take perhaps only 250 for an equivalent League game? It is both hugely encouraging and a little baffling at the same time.

My personal view is that once it becomes apparent that another season of midtable mediocrity beckons, Premier League fixtures that require any aggravation to attend hold little appeal to the rational fan. Take our upcoming game at Bolton: The club could offer fans free limo service to the airport and a private jet to a local airfield, and I still don't think they'd be inundated with enquiries.

Despite the FA's best efforts to destroy it, the FA Cup still maintains enough intrigue and romance to attract the most armchair-oriented fan aboard the coaches, trains and planes. Meanwhile the Premier League today holds about as much romance as a blind date with Jo Brand (and it's probably more expensive too).

6 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit NYA, originally my only reason for going was to bolster the numbers a bit. Just imagine: FA Cup quarter final, live on TV, millions of viewers all around the world, and the away end is virtually empty. All very embarrassing. We'd have been a laughing stock. So I thought I better make the effort, right?

Well how the dickens was I to know that 5,000 were already signed up? By the time I finally got through to the ticket office I didn't have the gall to say "5000? Well you don't really need me up there as well do you? Actually, I don't think I'll bother..."

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fact is NYA, that even attending home games, is for many season ticket holders, something of a chore, given the dearth of entertainment served up.
The FA cup however, still holds some magic for those of us who support clubs who are not regulars in the latter stages of the competition.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

Obviously the reduced cost has encouraged some disenfranchised away supporters, but 5,000?!

And it's not as if it's totally free anyhow. Waking up the wife at 4am because you were singing, "Darren Bent Bent Bent" too loudly definitely has costs attached to it.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Pedro45 said...

NYA - I'm going to this one, but as I've already confirmed, I don't go to many away games now due to cost, time, been there/done that, and more importantly to me in respect to London derbies, taking someone else's ticket option. As with Inspector Sands, I booked a (paid-for) train ticket on the Friday morning after the drawn game, and a hotel room soon after that. Little did we know that the club would lay on free transport with plane and train options too...
The Cup is different, it's unique, and I will be proud to be part of 5000 Charlton supporters who travel. I may even buy the shirt!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

Hey NYA, you would have more probs with the missus if you were singing Jo Brand's name at 4am. Now I know she's a bit of a looker (alright for you and all that ;)) but she's a bloody Palace fan for gawds sake!

Seriously though it is days like today that make you proud that your Dad introduced you to that little club called Charlton Athletic in the first place.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger New York Addick said...

Very true - admittedly for the first 20 years or so, I was wondering whether it constituted a form of child abuse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home