Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Chicago Marathon

In early October, I will be running the Chicago Marathon.

Despite having been a keen runner for many years, this will be the first time I've attempted the iconic 26.2 miles.

In an unusual post-credit crisis form of corporate hospitality, I was offered a free entry to the race (I'd have preferred the usual US Open tickets but anyhow).

Given that Chicago is one of the five 'marathon majors', as well as famously flat, it was impossible to turn down.

Although it is exceptionally hard to find the time to train appropriately (I just took the afternoon off work to do 64 laps of a local track for example), I had an additional poignant reason to take part.

Tragically a colleague and friend was killed in East London last winter, whilst out training for her own first marathon. She was just 29 years old and had been married for less than a year.

I heard the news during a business trip, at 3am in a lonely Dallas airport hotel. I've had many unpleasant phone calls with my boss, but this one was heartbreaking.

During my time in New York, I relied upon her constantly despite the distance. I also valued her as a confidante, and our near-daily conversations were as much about personal matters as work ones.

With the support of her family, I am thus running in her memory to raise funds for London's Air Ambulance.

Despite its vital role in the life of the capital, it receives only limited NHS funding and instead relies heavily upon charitable donations.

If you've enjoyed reading my blog over the past six years, and if any of the 830 posts that I've toiled over have made you laugh, cry, reflect or maybe just think about a topic differently, then here's your chance to give a little something back in return.

So if anyone can spare even a couple of quid (my fundraising site only discloses names, not amounts) then please be kind enough to send me a quick email at newyorkaddick@yahoo.co.uk, and I'll gladly direct you to my site.

I'd be extremely grateful for any support. Go on, it might bring Charlton some luck this season.

3 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, Anonymous CharltonChris said...

Sounds like a decent cause NYA, I take it you have gone through justgiving? Gives you more per donation..

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous newyorkaddick said...

Yes, that's right - using JustGiving which is handy for the automatic Gift Aid contribution for UK taxpayers.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

A great cause NYA, and a fabulous event. I watched it every year I was there, even the year it got abandoned because of the heat.

When I get a mo, I will visit the fundraising site.

Enjoy the game tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home