Friday, January 21, 2011

Plymouth Brethren

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!" (Life of Brian)

The Messiah has returned, or at least a popular capable left-back turned inexperienced coach.

Unfortunately I won't be present for the Second Coming (or is it the Fourth?).

Instead I will be in Florida, ironically staying at the exact same resort where I learned that Alan Pardew had taken over in Dec 2006.

There was a sense of optimism then (although perhaps not the blind devotion we observe now), so perhaps my cynicism about Powell's appointment is a case of 'once bitten'.

A thought occurred to me earlier this week. At the start of 2009/10, there were four 'big' clubs in League One (us, Leeds, Norwich and Southampton).

Leeds had appointed an up-and-coming manager (with impressive results at 'smaller' clubs) six months earlier, Norwich did so just weeks into the season whilst Southampton waited until this season to do so.

Each is very clearly reaping the benefits of this forward-looking approach, yet according to many Charlton fans it was too big a risk for us.

Instead our new owners have confused running a football club with winning a popularity contest, and appointed someone whose only relevant credentials are being a nice chap and a former Addick.

Charlton fans have an almost mawkish sense that somehow we are a different club operating with different values. The 'Charlton way' is a phrase oft-used.

This concept had value during the wilderness years, but at some point (roughly May 1998), we became a normal football club again.

The need for this nice touchy-feely feeling of togetherness continues to pass me by.

It seems people are extrapolating from a couple of bad eggs (Dowie/Pardew) and a mediocre manager (Parkinson) that the only solution was to find the next Curbs (ie. inexperienced but aware of the 'Charlton way').

Coincidentally our nemesis on the day we became a normal club again, will be in the opposition dugout again on Saturday.

Peter Reid's side have struggled yet will leapfrog us with a win, emphasising how compressed the division is.

He will however be without League One's top scorer Bradley Wright-Philips, injury-prone but linked to us in the window.

Powell will likely hand Nathan Eccleston a start, adding some pace alongside Joe Anyinsah's strength.

At the back our woeful lack of aforementioned pace will be observable again, whilst it will be interesting to see how long one fan's favourite (Powell) will take to recognise the obvious shortcomings of another (Semedo).

Three points from the Brighton, Colchester and Sheff Weds games was an abysmal return given four penalties and two early opposition red cards.

The post-Sheffield view that "I'd have taken a point before the game", is somewhat irrelevant because six minutes into it, one most certainly wouldn't have.

There's much work to be done, and I wish Sir Chris well.

I just ask fans and the Board not to judge him any differently based on his playing history. The club is bigger than that.

6 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Pat said...

OK, OK, you've made your point. I understand your reservations NYA - we're all fed up with what has happened since Curbs left - but for the first time in ages I am actually looking forward to a game. Not because I expect us to suddenly be playing great football, or even that we will win, but because it will be a totally different atmosphere. I don't know how many games you have got to this season, but it has been evil down there at times and I questioned my sanity in going to something so clearly unenjoyable. I know it may not last but I for one am grasping this as a lifeline. If it cheers up the miserable so-and-so's that sit near me, and creates a positive atmosphere for the players it absolutely cannot be a bad thing.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Ken said...

Hopefully, a bit of sun will cheer you up, NYA ;-)

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous sillav nitram said...

I agree with you nya but I also totally agree with pat. let's hope where all smiling at 4.45.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Suze said...

I know I have a smile!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger stevenelson77 said...

NYA. I've read your blogs for many a season and reasoned and sensible they usually are. However on this occasion I think you are wholly wrong. Powell is a bright, articulate man who has acheived much in his career both on and off the pitch. He may not succed but I believe he will and whatever happens he will work hard on behalf of us all. To be as negative as you are over his appointment is I feel a sad indictment of the negativity in general which the last few years have created. I firmly believe we should support the board and a bold and in my judgement first class appointment. Steve

 
At 2:42 AM, Anonymous SLC Red said...

This is a hard debate to contribute to. I'm very fond of Chris Powell and spent many years in his company (along with many thousands of other folks). However, from what I have read even he seems overawed by the task that he has been set. I think we can all assume that Parkinson worked hard, a prerequisite for most of us. Whether it is possible to do much more than inspire in our present impecunious condition is the debate. By all accounts (and I am 5,000 miles away) we were not good or confident or settled on the ball today and two of our younger, fearless players had moments of opportunism that paid dividends to keep Chris's smile on his face. Perhaps we are reduced to taking managerial risks that others would not be prepared to take. To those who would criticise the criticism - we care, we really do. We love our football and want to see the team playing it again. Good luck Chris - we are going to need some measure of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home